Project Produce

Friday, September 01, 2006

I love GREEN!


So the spinach went instantly into a big pot of Caldo Verde soup. Caldo Verde is a Portugese Greens Soup that I have a recipe for from the "Native Foods" cookbook. Thanks Aunt Terrie! Native Foods is one of my favorite vegan restaurants. I have only been to the one in Costa Mesa but there are a couple more in Southern California. Back to the soup, it is scary looking to most people I have tried to share it with but I absolutely LOVE it! It has so many things going for it in my opinion. It is quick, easy, inexpensive, flavorful, full of yummy leafy greens, my kids like it, and is low in fat ! Only a 1/4 cup of olive oil in the whole batch (it makes a lot!) 2 potatoes, onion, garlic, kale, spinach, and salt. Also from the "Native Foods" cookbook is a recipe for ceaser salad dressing which I made to put over the big head of romaine from my box. I made some croutons and parmesan sprinkles from "The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook" I stuck some avocado from the box in the salad too for some added richness. It was a super yummy dinner, the kids even approved it for their lunchboxes!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Im a few days behind here but I want that meal so bad. The salad looks soooo good right now. Hey, I would even try the soup.

September 07, 2006 1:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The portuguese Caldo verde doesn´t take spinach, only potatoes, garlic, salt and the cabbage is called "couve portuguesa" which i don't know the translation into english.
nice blog

October 18, 2007 9:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home